Priestly renewal course in the Holy Land
With deep regret, we inform you that due to the current circumstances related to the ongoing war in the region, the Priestly Renewal Program scheduled for January 2024 has been canceled. The safety and well-being of the participants are our top priorities, and in light of the unfolding events, we believe that taking this difficult decision is in the best interest of everyone involved. Over the coming months, we will closely monitor the situation on the ground and assess the possibility of holding the Priestly Renewal Program in the Holy Land scheduled for July 2024. We pray for peace and healing and we hope that conditions stabilize to allow for the realization of this significant event. To express your interest in participating in the program scheduled for July 2024, please contact us through our online contact form (see below). We will make sure to keep you informed about future developments and provide further instructions as necessary. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility in this challenging situation. We will work diligently to offer a meaningful and secure experience for all participants when conditions permit.
The course takes place in Jerusalem at the Pontifical Institute of Notre Dame and is achieved through an organized program of guided tours, lectures, spiritual retreats based on the renewal of baptismal and priestly promises, daily Eucharistic adoration, ecumenical encounters and the opportunity to visit the places of Christ’s life.
The course is aimed at helping each priest renew the sense and purpose of his priesthood by following the steps and mysteries of Our Lord’s life.
The course, organized twice a year, lasts three weeks and includes a stay in Jerusalem and Galilee with day excursions to the other significant areas of Christ’s life. Precise and spiritual explanations of each place, and the historical background to the Holy Land, are given by experienced priests, authorized by the Episcopal Commission of Christian Pilgrimages.
The participating priests come from all over the world; India, New Zealand, Australia, Poland, Austria, England, Ireland, the United States, Mexico and South American countries.
General description of itinerary:
- Jerusalem: Visit to the Temple
- Bethlehem: Visit to the location of the Lord’s birth. First retreat day
- Travel North: Visit Jordan river and Jericho with mass on Mount Tabor before arriving in Galilee
- Galilee: visit to the locations of Our Lord’s home and ministry: Capernaum, Bethsaida, the Mount of the Beatitudes, Caesarea Philippi, Magdala, Nazareth and Cana.
- Visit to Magdala and second retreat day
- Visit to Mount Carmel and Muhraqa on the journey back to Jerusalem
- Jerusalem: Continue reflections with the ‘Desert Day’ and visit to the Dead Sea
- Jerusalem: pilgrimage to the Mount of Olives and the places of Our Lord’s Passion, Death and Resurrection. Additionally we will visit the birth-place of St. John the Baptist, Samaria, Mount Gerizim and Jacob’s Well.
- Jerusalem: culmination of the priestly renewal with final retreat in the Franciscan Cenacle Church.
Thanks to the generosity of one of our benefactors, we have a “Perpetual Succour Scholarship Fund” offering scholarships for this course. If you desire to request a scholarship, please download the document with instructions: Scholarship for Priestly Renewal in The Holy Land Course.
- His Excellency Pierbattista Pizzaballa, Apostolic administrator for the Latin patriarchate of Jerusalem
- Fr. Artemio Vitores, OFM (Guardian of the Nativity in Bethlehem)
The course in brief
January 8th (arrival) – January 27th (departure) Spanish and English
July 8th – July 27th (departure) Spanish and English
Pontifical Institute Notre Dame of Jerusalem Center
3, Paratroopers Road 9120502 – Jerusalem
In which language??
English and Spanish
Follow the procedure and sign up now!
Fill out the contact form and receive instructions
You will receive by email all the instructions and the link to the form to complete the registration
Send the requested documents in the registration form
The registration form allows you to send all your data and the required documentation
Receive confirmation of successful registration
We are waiting for you!
- filling in the contact form
- a copy of Bishop Recommendation letter;
- a copy of electronic scan of passport (image and personal information) *the passport must be valid through 6 months after the end of the course;
- a copy of Curriculum Vitae.
Enrollment for the January 2024 course: open until December 8th 2023
*valid for the year 2024
Single room supplement
- shared room
- medical insurance during the course
Does not include
- extra days
- laundry service
- airplane tickets
- personal medical expenses and tips*.
FOR CASH PAYMENTS WE ONLY ACCEPT EURO
*It’s part of the local custom to give a tip in restaurants and hotels. For this reason each participant will contribute with an amount of € 50.00 and the tips will be payed as a group.
Our course is based in the Pontifical Institute Notre Dame of Jerusalem Center
3, Paratroopers Road
9120502 – Jerusalem
Tel. (+972) 262.79.111
It is located just outside the walls of the Old City and just minutes away from the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.